Getting It On with a Goatee
No other facial hair style is as misunderstood as the goatee. The goatee is named after the billy goats that sported them first, and the style sports that same kind of hair on the chin but nowhere else. If you’re looking for a combination mustache/chin beard that will make you look like the 17th century Flemish painter Anthony Van Dyke, you’re in the wrong place.
On a man, a goatee is a small chin beard with the cheeks and jawline shaved clean, and no mustache.
Who the Goatee Says You Are
When well-trimmed, a goatee looks good on every man. The key is choosing a style that fits your face. Some goatees may be fuller, thicker or longer than others, but the key is keeping all styles well-groomed.
You Know a Goatee is Right for You if…
- You’re not deterred from wearing one even knowing that your choice is named for a farm animal.
- Your mother thinks you’ll never get a date looking like that.
- You’re paying tribute to Scooby Doo’s owner and suspected stoner, Shaggy Rogers.
- You want to be like Abe Lincoln and the other members of his emancipation crew.
How to Grow a Goatee
- Allow a wide swath of hair on your chin below your mouth to grow out, including that little soul patch.
- Resist the urge to do anything to that area until you have a thick bush happening.
- While you might leave a little extra hair around the goatee growing area for later elimination, keep the rest of your face clean-shaven.
- Once your beard has grown out about a half-inch, you should be working with enough hair to shape a nice goatee.
How to Groom a Goatee
- The width of a goatee is typically about the same width as your mouth.
- Smile in the mirror and shave the goatee perimeter along your dimples (your smile lines.)
- Define the outer edges as straight lines, or curve them in slightly. Concentrate on making any lines smooth.
- Symmetry is key, so take your time shaving the sides. Step back. Look, and look again.
- If you aren’t going caveman, round off the hair on the bottom of your chin. Leave it a bit long if you don’t have much of a chin.
- Look to the latest edition of Rolling Stone magazine for variations.
You now have a perfectly groomed goatee!
Similar Beard Styles
- Van Dyke – A goatee + a disconnected mustache. (Note: For those who are hip to facial hair, calling a Van Dyke a goatee is like telling a surfer he’s got a nice paddleboard.)
- Musketeer – A severely trimmed goatee with a Hungarian Mustache.
- Circle Beard – A small chin beard that connects around the mouth to a mustache. It’s also called a Door Knocker